Friday, October 20, 2006

As the Board Turns, a new soap to watch.

I should be used to this by now. But I keep thinking that that this board is making strides to cooperate. Then I am brought back to reality. Wednesday nights meeting was going smoothly. At board comment time I mentioned that I had heard from Paul Colavecchio, one of the candidates for the Ohio House of Representatives. He was the only candidate for house or senate that I heard from regarding an invitation to a board hosted candidates’ night. Since he bothered to respond, I offered him the opportunity to speak to the board at our Nov. 1st board meeting. Silly me. I actually believed your board of education would want to see where this man stood on the issues facing our school district. I didn’t even think it needed a vote! But I was forced to put it to a vote when someone raised concerns of what was fair and handing a candidate an open mic. I assured her that the opponent had been given several opportunities to respond to the request. But he was too busy to take 2 minutes to get back to me. One board member even stated that he would like to hear what Mr. Colavecchio had to say but turned around and voted no to hearing what Mr. Colavecchio had to say! I don’t know what I should think of that. Nothing like an alliance to confuse you. But then again when you vote the way you are signaled to vote by others, it can be confusing. I feel like we are third graders and need to stand folders up on the desks so we can’t see what each other is doing.

I also find it very disturbing that a union president approached a board member after the meeting and congratulated her on the fine job she had done. What the hell is so fine about blocking information? After all our current state representation has done very little for public education, but smiles while David Brennen, the charter school Don, lines his pockets with tax-payer money. I’m sure he wouldn’t use any of that money for campaign contributions now would he? I am so sick of watching people try to play both sides of the fence. Public education has suffered because of our current congress people. Why does everyone bitch about it at luncheons and meetings but not speak about it publicly? Mr. Colavecchio is not taking money from people to run his campaign and I respect that. His hands are clean and he can think about the citizens wants and needs, not wants and desires of a small, wealthy portion of our population with special interests. I do not know the man except for our short 5-minute conversation regarding the talk to the board meeting and what I’ve read and heard about him. But I feel the people that live here have been ignored by our current representation. Too many in Columbus have this attitude that they know better than the common folk. We’re not stupid. We can see what’s going on. Common folk do not want their hard earned money funding failing charter schools and making a few private citizens' millionaires along the way. And stop spending our money on test consultants and test preparers and test printers and tests, tests, tests. Our state dollars need to come to the buildings not to test companies. It’s disgusting the amount of tax payer money goes to companies "specializing" in education issues.

Lastly, yes I did say special education inclusion needs a looksy. I do not apologize for this statement. I had a severely handicapped father so please do not yell that that I do not understand. I do. I also understand that are certain limitations and prohibitions involved in a special needs persons’ life. I will once again use the example of the screaming autistic child being included in an advanced reading class. Who benefited from this action? I’m sure it was not easy to read a chapter book with this type of commotion in the classroom. I feel the 25 "typical" children in this classroom have the right to a peaceful, productive learning environment. I am also not sure what the autistic child got out of this. I saw this child in the hallways and playground often and witnessed many screaming fits and literal lying on the floor screaming kicking fits. I had the distinct impression this child did not like inclusion in the classroom. And you don’t even want to hear what happened when they tried to bring the entire autism unit outside for field day with 300 screaming hyper maniacs we call students. All I can say is Duh!

And then there is the violence. It seems that while we want these children to be treated just like any other child, that is not the case when it comes to behavior and discipline issues. If a "typical" child strikes another child, throws objects at teachers and others kids, or otherwise disrupts class, he or she will be disciplined. But the special needs label gets you a free pass 99% of the time. So I feel like it’s treat this special needs kid like every other kid except when they are not acting like every other kid. I want to do everything we can for the children of our district. But not at the detriment of the majority of them. If inclusion is possible without disruption of education, go for it. But use a dose of common sense when placing these children in a main stream classroom.

Sorry if that offends anyone but I tend to see the reality in situations. The reality is there really are some kids who cannot and will never learn. My father could return to work with his peers after his injury. To think that he could have preformed at their level is ludicrous. His co-workers could not wait for him to perform his job so they could complete theirs.

One more thing. The Plan for Excellence committee has been formed that is charged with reconfiguring our districts' buildings. It is so unbalanced and not representative of our community that I have washed my hands of it. I think the only hope of knowing what this community wants is through the community survey. Be sure to let people know it's coming.

7 comments:

www.tnl3000.com said...

To: Kellie and others who want to compete in the global information-based society,

I understand your concerns relative to the PfE. I understand that you see the Teaching & Learning Team chaired by community members from a low-risk, high $, and organized neighborhood (SLV) as operating independently of the needs of CFO. I also understand that you feel 'shut out' of the purpose/problem/solution statement process referred to as PfE.

If I have not accurately stated the problems or your concerns then please correct me.

Lou Schott lschott@neo.rr.com

www.tnl3000.com said...

To: Everyone who wants high quality solution statements resulting from the Plan for Excellence,

Here are some planning parameters related to the process for solving problems -- as follows:
1. We assume that we have the power to solve the problems in our community.
2. We will capture the on-going dialogue with no time-limit for new problem statements.
3. We will document our diaglogue with simple sentences.
4. We will work to develop agreements.

Lou Schott 330-923-9328

Kellie Patterson said...

Rblack and Barry,
You are very correct. The screaming hyper maniacs are the "typical" children including my own. If you have ever been at field day, you would have known exactly who I was talking about. As for the actual breakdown of the committee I refer to, I will have to defer to Molly Benedum. Molly? You here?

www.tnl3000.com said...

To: The Problem Solvers who read this blog,

Please allow me to comment on how the PfE can help all of us move to a higher level of action.

Before I can do the above, I need to also comment on how the PfE could fail or be compromised. One of the ways for it to fail -- is if a 'problem statement' is made and the response of a person who has a 'high need to control' refuses to let the 'problem statement' be posted. 'High control people' may need to deny the reality -- as seen by other people. 'High control people' tend to see their propblem / solution as the ONLY problem / solution. Anything different from their ONLY solution is beyond their ability to control.

Because 'high control people' fear the loss of control they may be unable or unwilling to delegate their powers and skills to others. Their sense of team is 'I' and not 'we'. Listen and watch people. Do they use 'we' when they really should use 'I'. Or, vice versa.

'High control people' will create closed problem solving systems. The result is that their solutions are short range and less adaptable to the bigger systems of change surrounding them in their environment. Have you ever spoken and later learned that you should have been listening instead?

When we create 'open problem solving systems' then we open up to everything going on around us. We defer judgments relating to 'good, bad, right and wrong'. And, we open up to the possiblity of making informed choices based on a global information-based society.

Isn't that what you want to teach and show your children to do?

Is anyone interested? Or, am I writing to and for myself?

Lou Schott lschott@neo.rr.com

www.tnl3000.com said...

To: Get-Reak-Ok and others who want to solve problems,

Please allow me to respond to you. I understand that you feel that I am intellectually handicapped. And, I know that I am also handicapped because I do not know who you 'really' are.

I cannot tell from your response to my question related to 'problem solving and competing in the global information-based society' whether we share in this unifying purpose statement. I cannot tell (for sure) if you are threatened by me and thus would prefer to diminish me and exclude me from the problem solving process.

Are you comfortable providing us with more information on your needs so that we can include your concerns in our discussions?

Kellie Patterson said...

Sarah,
Thank you for the insight. Now I'll give you some. Long before I ever thought about the CF BOE, I was on a different mission. You see when I was 15, I suffered a very traumatic criminal act. I learned a lot through the trial of a man who had been arrested 6 times and tried 3 times for the same crime, different victims. The most difficult part for me to deal with was the fact that the jury was told nothing of his criminal past. It's against the law! I approached our state law makers about introducing legislation to have this changed. Other states have done it. Some time after my meetings with them, they introduced and passed the hamburger bill. You know, that important piece of legislation that made the hamburger the state food. You see I expect these people we elect to actually work. I am not shy about emailing them and telling them what I think. Anyone can duplicate legislation brilliantly written in another state by a better law maker(Coughlin with Megans Law) and introduce it in Ohio and see it passed. Widowfield is only concerned with towingthe party line. Holding back on giving Summit Co. Common Pleas Court judges until he could secure a republican additional judge for the juvinile division is a blatant example of what people he works for. Especially considering Judge Teodosio herself says it isn't needed. It's her court, I would think she knows best. The current office holders think I'm crazy and not credible because they know I see through their BS. For them it's about protecting the people that finance their campaigns. Notice who is running that has a real job, and whose job is full time politician. Go take a look at their campaign finance reports. I guarantee you'll get a clear picture of who they represent. I'm crazy because I talk about this stuff. Anyone that knows me can answer as to my credibility. I tow my own line because I don't want to owe anyone any favors. I think the vote turnout in the CF BOE election shows that signs buy elections. After that it's credibility.

www.tnl3000.com said...

To: The Kind People who want to solve problems,

Please allow me to ask some questions of some of the bloggers.
And, please do not look for a reason to take offense to my questions. I do not intend to diminish anyone.

To: Sarah,
Please tell us more about your journalism training. Specifically, do you get trained in the 'creative problem solving processes'? What training do you get in the 'leadership processes'?

To: CF_loses ...,
I read your comments with great interest. I especially liked your description of 1000 little fights ... . How do you imagine our CFO + SLV application of the problem solving process is similar or different from a community like Silicone Valley?

To: Get-Real-Ok,
Again, you have told me that I am intellectual handicapped. And, I assume that you consider my attempt to contribute -- as useless. Could you please tell me how you feel that I could be useful to you, our school, and our community -- preferably all at the same time?

To: Leslie,
As I read your thoughts, I have the sense that you have a sincere interest in solving problems in our community. How do you think that I or anyone else could be more useful to the 'Get-Real-Ok' people?

To: Kellie,
I am unsure if sharing the tragedies in our lives is entirely useful. I think that it can be -- if others share in our same purpose.

Having said the above, I have shared the tragedies in my life with others (at times) and I still never get awarded the highest honor in the 'Victim Olympics'. What do you think?

Lou Schott 330-923-9328