Sunday, November 19, 2006

If It Weren't For Bad Luck, I'd Have No Luck At All

What a week! If you think you’ve had a bad day, allow me to make you feel better about yourself. First Saturday. Hold B-Day party for my 96 month old baby. Secretly wish I had 4 more babies. Then other kids invade my house and I’m grateful I didn’t. Feed children donuts, ice cream, soda pop, and other sugar-laden goodies. At 1 AM I wonder what the hell I was thinking. At 2 AM I wonder why my kids are asleep and the others aren’t. At 3 AM I contemplate leaving for Columbus now rather than waiting until 2PM. Wake at 7 AM to automatic machine gun fire and Nerf bombardment. Wonder why they say kids need 8-10 hours of sleep but these ones only need 4.

Leave for Columbus at 2:30. Decide to be lead car in a 2 person caravan. Realize that 80 miles per hour is not fast enough for Miss Leadfoot. Wonder if cop will believe I was forced to go this fast. Probably not. Arrive at check in with my printed out reservation from September CLEARLY showing my smoking room. Informed that the hotel is 100% non smoking as of last May and my minority butt can stand outside if I wish. She also informs me that my blue and yellow outfit was not a good fashion statement this weekend. Huh? Whatever.

Go to dinner. The first clue should have been when the hostess directed my companion to not sit in a particular seat because of the vent above. So she moved to the seat the hostess suggested instead and I sat down. Long story short, froze the entire time and my food was cool after my first three bites. And I should have known that chicken pizza would suck.

Depressed Monday cuz it’s my baby’s actual birthday and I’m not with him. Call baby and tell him the story about the day he was born with a tear in my eye. Baby reply’s that he was playing Spyro Year of the Dragon on his new Nintendo DS Lite and forgot (?) what I was saying. And wants to know why I didn’t name him Spyro. And if he can change it to that. Go to bed wondering why my mom didn’t name me something cooler too.

Tuesday fairly uneventful. Except for the fact that I got up ungodly early to attend a meeting that was supposed to unveil the legislation to solve all the states education and property tax problems. Had to get presentable, pack, check out, get bell to put bags in storage, take shuttle to conference for- NOTHING! That’s right. The plan that brought everyone together, that mayors, and just about every educational entity is a part of, get this- wants us to donate money and get petitions signed for a piece of legislation we still haven’t seen any part of!

Wednesday. Take kids to school and pull back in driveway. Hope the green antifreeze all over the driveway is from someone else’s car that was at my house while I was gone for 5 minutes. Nope. Call Tarzan and listen to 20 minute tirade about car repair people, cost of radiators, and the fact that we will have to use our furniture funds to pay for car repairs. (The furniture isn’t due for delivery for 6-8 weeks.), told to not answer the phone if Wayside Furniture calls. Laugh because of this outrageous staement. Like furniture ever comes early! Get ride to Chamber of Commerce luncheon. Miss winning 50-50 raffle by one number. Get free hand sanitizer and a ride home. Realize my car is gone. Hope it was stolen only to find out it’s already at the repair shop. With all my stuff in it. Listen to messages. Wayside called. Furniture is in. I can call call them anytime to pay the balance and set up delivery. Repair shop message says they think they can fix it for only $350. Only?!

Computer repair guy is scheduled to come at 5PM and repair shop has finished and closes at 6. So I take Tarzan’s car to shop while he stays home to meet techie. Leave home at 5 and get to shop only realize his car needs gas and I don’t have time to get it. Leave shop in my car and race to board meeting. Get there with one minute to spare. Gotta pee but I guess it can wait. Take my car home and get ride to Kent from Miss Leadfoot to pick up Tarzan’s car. Argue the entire way about teaching and learning and if people come to games for the team or the band, when we all know it’s for the band! Oh and did I mention the air conditioner was on the entire way to defog the windows? This must be how they do it down south. Finally in Tarzan’s car and driving home. Car starts dinging at me. I instinctively hit the brakes because that’s what you do when the car dings. Realize the brakes are barely there. Debate whether to go home and tell Tarzan or go to bar and drink. Decide to go home and drink and then tell Tarzan. Realize I have broken two cars in one day and hysterically laugh and cry the whole way home and why the hell wont the car stop dinging? I know already for God’s sake! Does it think I can just stop and walk home? Besides even if it wants me to I’m not sure I could since it’s the brakes!

Thursday. Volunteer in Library. Tell Library buddies I feel like Schleprock. Informed that Schleprock must be from the OLD Flintstones because no one but me remembers him. For anyone who doesn’t know, Schleprock was a guy on the Flintstones that had gloom and doom follow him where ever he went. Go home and find out Tarzan’s car will cost $1000 to fix AND they will have it for a WEEK. Wonder why I didn’t become a school administrator so I would never have money problems.

TGIF. Friend stops by and tells us she’s leaving town for 2 weeks and want’s to leave her car in our driveway. Wishes one of us would drive it while she’s gone because she doesn’t take it out enough as it is. Um, OK. Maybe I won’t need a drink after all.

5 comments:

www.tnl3000.com said...

Kellie,

When random 'negative events' tend to cluster then expect them to come in groups of threes.

When the 'negative events' start then do things like go back to bed. Don't fly in airplanes or make high buck decisions.

This too will pass.

Lou

Anonymous said...

Well, I CAN'T DRIVE 55...I can only say that a fine driving machine was meant to be driven and I try to do my part.
It is CLIMATE CONTROL not AC, and yes it needed to be on to cool down that heated converstion we were having.
All kidding aside it is refreshing that you and I can have this difference of opinion and still respect the point of view from which it came.
I'm giving some thought to your offer to write a guest blog. Do you think anyone is interested in what that heated, healthy converstion detailed, or would they be interested in what I learned at OSBA, starting with the guestion and answer session with the state superintendent or maybe you have a topic for me?
For now it's over the river and through the snow...
Have a safe and happy holiday.

www.tnl3000.com said...

To: Kellie, Ms. Leadfoot, and others who want to disagree -- without trashing each other,

If two people agree around making decisions then we do not need both of them. They will simply validate each other. And, the ability to examine alternative solutions is lost in the process.

The essence of our 'creative country' has been the ability of our country and our Constitution to tolerate our differences AND similarities. For that -- we can be thankful.

The essence of empowering our 'creative community' has been the start of our community to open up the 'closed country club' leadership style in our BOE, Library Board, City Council, and FNP. For a beginning -- we can be thankful.

The essence of empowering our 'creative individuals' has been the start of the PfE and other initiatives designed to facilitate problem solving. For this -- we can be thankful.

Please allow me to wish EVERYONE a Happy Thanksgiving.

Lou

Molly Benedum said...

Barb (aka Ms. Leadfoot), I would certainly be interested in a guest blog on what you learned at the OSBA Capitol Conference. I think it would be refreshing to have the opportunity to share in the knowledge that our tax dollars provide for our elected officials.

Happy Turkey Day to all (and don't forget to give thanks too!!)!!

www.tnl3000.com said...

To: TheRhesus, Leadfoot, and others who recognize the ability of our European immigrant ancestors to practice genocide on those heathen Indians who were protecting their culture,

Once upon a time (before blogging), an Indian called 'Red Jacket' spoke at Seneca, N.Y. in 1805. Red Jacket was the Chief of the Seneca Tribe. Red Jacket had been asked by spokesmen for a Christian church to let them baptize the members of his tribe. Here was Red Jacket's reply.

http://www.sojust.net/speeches/red_jacket_iroquois.html

Dear TheRhesus, Google plans to digitize all of the information in the world and build search engines to help us find the answer to our questions. They expect their business model to have a 300 year life cycle.

The open question before all of us is -- will we be able to solve the problems of our time in a creative manner like 'Chief Red Jacket'? Or, will we solve our problems by creating victims of other people like the good Christians of 'Chief Red Jacket's time?

WE (all of us) are writing the eBook for our community. And, anyone connected to the Internet on our planet can read our eBook without buying it.

Once we build up our team and empower it to apply the 'creative problem solving processes' then we will have more than just 250 hits per day on this blog. The rest of the world will be trying to figure out how we are doing it. It is a simple process. We just need to use the process with some discipline (not sabotage).

Please let me know how you think that I can help.

Lou