Friday, March 17, 2006

Ride on the Magic School Bus

So much is happening at once that I’m not sure where to begin. A check for the Bode building and a contract for a new bus garage all in the same breath. Whew! 800K in, 655K out. And that's just to start. All signed, sealed, delivered and awaiting board approval. Yes, I’m sure it will have board approval. Does anyone question that? Now you should understand, something must be done for the warehouse/bus garage in the near future. It is old and I am impressed there are not more parking accidents. But in light of our current financial condition, and issues with our school buildings, I’m not sure this is the best solution. And I do not agree with the comment "best of all this will cost the taxpayer nothing." Taxpayer money built Bode and it was our money that came in from the sale. So tell me taxpayers, is this a wise move or are there other options? I realize our current building is old but I’m not so sure our fire department would "let it burn" if it caught fire. Please pretend this statement was not actually made at our board meeting. There is a home about 15 feet away. Not to mention the fuel storage tanks! I hope the CFFD would at least attempt to squirt some water that way.
It seems we have hired our athletic director for next year.The Director of Schnee Learning Center has snagged the job. I do not know him or our job description for AD so I should say I’m sure he’ll do a fine job. That would be the politically correct thing to say. But since I don’t know him I can only truthfully say that I hope he does a fine job. A moving statement was read at Wednesdays board meeting expressing disappointment in the bypassing of a long time employee, with much experience in the athletic department for this position. To see this same person resign his position as head football coach on the boards’ agenda minutes later was disheartening. I can only say that the Board of Education has no employment powers except the positions of superintendent and treasurer. The superintendent is responsible for the employment of personnel.
Speaking of Schnee, I have been asked by several people to point something out. We continue to hear how successful Schnee Learning Center is. Well Duh. You are letting high school kids go to school for 3 hours a day. Let’s be honest. Is Schnee successful because kids are learning or because a lot of kids with little to no motivation can go to school for only three hours per day? I’m sure that there is a percentage of students at Schnee that are truly benefiting from the services provided. But I know students are clamoring to get into Schnee and I know why. 3 – Hours- Per- Day!! Why? I have been told that this is because some of these children must help support their families. HAH! Puh-lease. Of course children are flocking to Schnee. But is this the clientele we want to attract? Read your Falls News police blotter or Sunday Beacon crime section and let me know.
I’m not so sure that putting low cost parochial schools in our district buildings is such a wise idea either. Do they draw children from our own neighborhoods? I think so. But more importantly, what do you think?
Keep your feedback coming.

1 comment:

Kellie Patterson said...

And Samuel Butler said...
The truest charachters of ignorance
Are vanity, and pride, and arrogance.