Friday, May 19, 2006

Dinner $20, New suit- $300, Car scratches- Priceless

It started out to be a lovely evening. The sun came out (I actually got to wear my sunglasses!), I attended a lovely teacher recognition banquet at the beautiful River Front Pavilion, stuffed myself on steak and cookies, and had a marvelous time handing out 20 year pins, and employee awards. The evening came to an end and we left for our cars. As I approached mine, I noticed a crowd had gathered. Were they making fun of my dirty car? I swear it was my 7 year old that wrote butthead in the grime. But their grim faces told another story. Our cars had been keyed they informed me. Now on my crappy car you can hardly tell. I guess that’s one advantage to having a car that substitutes as a driveway jungle gym. But oh those fancy teacher cars got it bad. To make matters worse, I believe I had a conversation with the perpetrators when I was out taking a powder. I don’t really know what that means but my grandma always said it.
I can’t wait to hand these little lovely’s their diplomas. It’s kind of funny that they probably didn’t realize they were outside talking to a board member. They probably also didn’t realize that their teacher was inside and commented on them being outside. To the entire room. I’m not saying they did it, because as far as I know, there are no witnesses. But I know my heathen radar was perked. But I’m sure the police will rule my internal motherly instinct irrelevant. But I really hope I get to attend the disciplinary hearing. I’ll have to ask the CEO if it would be possible. Oh what fun I’ll have. I will sentence them to picking cigarette butts out of the cracks of the brick pavement at the River Front Mall after every event this summer.
But seriously, there was probably a combined damage total of five to ten thousand. That’s not including the pain and suffering. Yes the pain and suffering of listening to the other half bark about parking decks and teenagers, insurance companies, insurance adjusters, insurance bills, and car repair people. Everyone please take a minute today and thank a teacher. Not just for the things they do everyday in the classroom, but for going to those classrooms knowing each child is potluck and it’s not all good. But they go anyway. And somehow manage not to smack some of them.
We have a teacher that I think deserves some special recognition. Mrs. Burris, a kindergarten teacher at Dewitt Elementary reached her 45 year mark with our district. All I can say to that is WOW!

1 comment:

www.tnl3000.com said...

I had my new car 'keyed' once. And, I was outraged. All of my outrage returns at this point in time.

I ask, "Why do people do these kind of things?"

I answer, "People want to show off -- even if it is just to their friends. Some people want to CREATE destruction. Other people want to CREATE construction. Both, the constructors and the destructors want to be recognized.

Thus, our community leaders need to create more opportunities to involve our community members in useful (constructive) action.

Involvement does not need to require more money (levies) -- given the unlimited capacity of the internet to involve people. If we want to involve people in a useful manner then we need to work smarter.