Monday, December 11, 2006

Dream On

No it’s not an ugly rumor. The CF BOE actually had federal mediators come in (for free!) to help us learn how to function together. You see some of us are concerned that the constant friction present is doing this school district no good. I want to see us move into the 21st century. Follow global trends. Send kids into the world prepared for life, not just college. We have another meeting with the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Services in January. Just enough time to ponder what we’ve discussed thus far. To try and sum it up- we all come from different places. Different morals, ethics, beliefs, and backgrounds. Besides looking for flaws, look for some positives, some strengths that person has and appreciate them.

An interesting conversation took place among friends the other day. Do we have enough family time during the school year? I think complaints about homework have been around since homework has been issued. But today there is a valid argument that too much is coming home. We have after school sports and church and girl/boy scouts and music programs and practices, not to mention family activities suchas birthdays and shopping and doctor appointments and the rest of life. And most teachers do not plan homework and assignments around these things. I’m not saying they should but the amounts of homework that come home can be overwhelming. I hear of 2 hours and more and I’ve experienced it myself. My son had 3 reports dues in one weeks time. That’s a lot for a fourth grader. I like the 10 minutes per day and day per week rule. That means in first grade you have 10 minutes of home work once a week. In second grade you have 20 minutes of homework 2 days per week. But it should never exceed 4 days per week. Homework should not come home on Fridays in my opinion. Weekends are my time for family. School work should not dominate peoples lives. I have actually read about districts that issue no homework! Can you imagine that? I’m not necessarily saying that is a good idea, but it’s worth looking into. I’d revamp our whole system if it were up to me. Core classes would be 50 minutes. Art and music would be 45 minutes every other day. Gym class would ½ hour every day. That’s right-every single day. Obviously the high school would have to be different. But the focus should be on future trends not past practices.

That’s the end of my day dreaming today. I’m keeping my fingers crossed that the policy committee will consider looking into some of these items next year. No meetings this week. What will we do with ourselves? I’m planning on shopping. Only 13 days left!

3 comments:

www.tnl3000.com said...

To: Our Kind People who want to play a leadership role in our community,

You can see the 'mediation process' statements supporting the meeting by the BOE with the federal mediator on www.tnl3000.com/Build_Team.aspx .

I observed this meeting. I found our BOE members working hard to be both vulnerable and comfortable with each other. This is hard work. And, I feel strongly that I must support their process -- if we are to experience breakthroughs in our community.

I hope that each of you will examine the mediation process and see how you might use the process to improve the quality of your working relationship and your support for our BOE members.

Our BOE members are giving up a lot to give our community new ways of looking at itself. It requires our BOE members to be intimate with their thoughts and feelings around how our community operates.

If one BOE member loses in this intimate process then all of us lose.

I hope this helps.

Lou

www.tnl3000.com said...

To: Kellie and others who want more useful homework, more family time, and better performance on our standards based education system at a lower cost,

Let's start with some hard facts. 1. We only have 24 hours in one day.
2. We have one teacher teaching one lesson to about 30 different little problem solvers. Each of the problem solvers learn the lesson in 30 different ways.
3. We have one family with one or maybe two big people and multiple little people who experience the same family event in different ways.
4. We have one community with many members who have never known a 'standards based education', or thought about the process of creative problem solving or the process of victimization.
5. We have one state with many legislators who have created a number of laws designed to tax gambling, cigarettes, gas, and improve education (problem solving) systems.
6. We have one federal government with leaders who want to 'leave no child behind' and in the process 'leave other leaders out of the loop'.

So, the question becomes what can we do about our current status? Are we satisfied or frustrated? Whether we operate as a member of a class, family, community, state or nation, do we know how to create change?

Do we know how to measure creativity? Do we know the creative problem solving process when we see it?

Let me know how you think that I can help.

Lou

Kellie Patterson said...

Therhesus: My idea of core classes are the three R's. Readin', Writin', and Rithmatic, and of course the most important Science. Yes I know Social Studies is missing. Life is social studies. And the History Channel make it way more interesting than any classroom teacher can. Sorry but that's life as I see it. I realize that because of state testing my hopes are dashed, but as I said in the blog post, these are my lofty dreams that we actually prepare kids for what they really face.

As for homework in higher level grades, alot of that would depend on the career direction each child is headed for. College bound kids would require more homework (that can be started in what we called study hall) than say a kid in cosmetology or auto mechanics or wood shop. we should hone each child not produce little widgets. But I am adamant that homework should not go home on weekends unless it is a large project or term paper due or some extra special circumstance.

My elder friends remind me of a day when school was scheduled around family responsibilities and traditions. I have to ask myself why since my children have been in school has the school and its demands dominated our lives for 9 months out of each year?