Monday, January 08, 2007

Let Them Eat Cake

Please excuse my long absence. I need an extended break from the craziness of the school world! But I’m refreshed and back. As you probably read in the paper, not much has changed. I was hoping that after our first session with the federal mediators we could start to try to cooperate. Silly me. I thought we could start focusing on the education of children. But instead we continue to focus on who can outdo whom. Did I really think I would be elected to serve as VP? No. I was nominated to prove a point. You see two of us have been dealing with being shut out for a year now. They do it under the auspices of a majority. Yet they do not care they are shutting out the voting public majority. If you’ve been to any of the board meetings I think you would notice one thing about the five of us individually. There is only one member who continually keeps the focus on education, testing scores, and student achievement. She was appointed to the Cuyahoga Falls Foundation committee! What a slap in the face. I knew the triumvirate would never elect her president of the board even though she would have been the best pick. Their original pick for president and the reasons were unacceptable to me. My vote for board president is not going to be based on politics. Someone needing a title because they are up for re-election this year is not sound reasoning. Since I knew common sense would never prevail, a 5-0 vote was promised for the current president (lesser of two evils) and our education person as VP. But it became apparent that was not going to happen. My pick for VP declined my offer to nominate and offered to nominate me instead. What the heck, I had to try! I strongly feel the taxpayer majority deserves a voice on the board. But politics prevailed and winner takes all by a margin of one. I found the whole scene a comical waste of time. It was known going in who it would be. We should have skipped the formalities and just sworn them in when we walked in. Could’ve shaved 15 minutes off the meeting.
Now let’s touch on a few hot button (pardon the pun) issues. Cell phones first. Driving home from Bolich, I watch my friends’ daughter text message a 3-paragraph dialogue in 10 seconds flat. Keep in mind you non-text message users, each number on your phone stands for 3 or 4 different letters. “S” for instance requires 4 pushes of #7 on your phones and the actual #7 takes 5 pushes! Kids can text faster than an executive secretary can type. In fact Madam Kellie predicts that future keyboards will resemble a phone number pad more than our familiar keyboards. And everyone will type one handed. Eventually people will only type with their thumbs. I was told a story Wednesday night of a kid who texted 28 messages back and forth with his girlfriend during class, phone under the desk because he can do it with his eyes closed. I’m actually getting proficient at it and I’ve only done it about ten times. Everyone is fretting what to do. As usual I have the solution but no one will listen. We have the ability to block transmission in the classroom. Now I’m no techie, but I do know that if I go into secure areas, my cell is rendered useless. Scramble the signals, or whatever it is that these computer guru’s do that I know nothing about, but do know is available.
And thanks to the Beacon Journal, let’s talk about retire/rehire, or more commonly referred to as double dipping. There are two schools of thought on this one. First is the “it’s saving the taxpayer money” argument. You as a taxpayer will no longer pay for insurance benefits, (I wonder about the $1000 payment for not taking our insurance though), and perhaps a slight decrease in pay. This side will also point out the years of experience you are getting for the money. While this side has some merits the other side counter attacks with cries of how unfair it is. And to a point I agree. If you are a productive employee hoping to apply for that job when it is available, what is your incentive to stay if retirees are keeping their positions? And although a state pension is money the retiree earned, most taxpayers do not have this option after retiring and it leaves a bad taste in the voters’ mouth. It gives the appearance of a good ole boy system. It also eliminates young fresh professionals from bringing new ideas to a system. And they generally come in at a lower pay rate too. And the new person would generally buy a house in the neighborhood and start contributing to the local economy.
What’s your thoughts on these issues?

6 comments:

Value Publishing said...

Well I hope you are wrong because I think typing on a phone is a nightmare! Long live the full size keyboard!
http://www.toquitnow.com

Molly Benedum said...

I arrived late to the meeting and missed the vote, but I heard from more than one person that Mrs. Gunter was treated very poorly by several of the people seated at the front of the room. Nothing positive will be accomplished for our children if the people seated at that table aren't willing to treat each other with respect, work together as a team and cobble together solutions that they can all get behind. And at the heart of that is that no one individual or group should get their way all of the time. As soon as this process turns into shutting out one or more persons ideas and goals, they may as well all go home because then they have lost sight of educating our children. It's really a shame.

www.tnl3000.com said...

To: The kind people who want to solve problems in our community,

We must not let our structures structure us in a manner that keeps us from cooperating to compete.

Let me say the same thing in a different manner.

We must not let our existing buildings keep us from learning. We must learn to solve problems -- anytime and anywhere. If we want to spend more on the learning processes for everyone in our community then we must lower the cost to maintain our buildings.

We have a HUGE amount of surplus floor space in our community. We could rent it for $10 per sq foot per year. Please compare that to the cost of owning and maintaining a partially used school building.

Molly Benedum said...

Leslie, I'm on the Reconfiguration Study Group and at this point, no recommendations have been made regarding this subject. The Teaching & Learning/Pupil Services subcommittee will be meeting on Thursday, January 25th at 7:00 PM to formulate the recommendations. I believe the meeting will be held in the Bolich Library.

Molly Benedum said...

Leslie, I'm sorry you found my reply unclear. There are no recommendations yet. There are supposed to be some after the meeting on the 25th. If you have any more questions about what those will be, I would suggest you attend that meeting. Observers will be welcome.

tpayer2 said...

A few publishing's ago, you had stated that the elementary children could not go on field trips etc due to money issues.
Now could you please explain why you proposed and it was approved to alocate MORE money for board members to go to conferences, and why did you attend a "conference" where you stayed for 12 days.Who paid for that trip and your stay there. How many field trips could have been taken with the money you spent??? You think our teachers are paid to much, and we shouldn't close schools, but you propose and agree to more money for you and others to go to conferences??? Isn't that a little the pot calling the kettle black???
Each board member has a agenda, and not always in the best interest of the children. Our teachers are at the near bottom of the pay scale of neighboring districts and I don't see any board member going back to school to become a teacher, since they "don't do anything and don't deserve raises"
Furthermore, if we were thinking of our children then a renewal levy, not a new levy would not have a problem passing. There is always someone to blame, the supertindent, the teachers etc.... Everyone is responsible for our children and grandchildren's education, we are to blame when they do not get the things they need for that education. In a world where violence seems to be the theme of the day, we should be thankful for our teachers and administration for keeping our children safe and secure. We don't have metal detectors at the doors, and violence in our classrooms.
We have a school district we can be proud of, with caring staff.
I called to express my concern to the supertindent regarding something that had happened that day. He was there in his office and took the time to talk to me. I didn't get a voice mail, saying he was to busy and to leave a message.
This is a good community, and I wouldn't live anywhere else. I wanted to live here. I have grandchildren who attend schools in the district. I appreciate the teachers and the job they do. Its no an easy one.