Sunday, March 18, 2007

How About "Get Real Ohio"?

What a week! I’m so exhausted I think I’ll sleep all day Sunday. I went to the Ohio Statehouse in Columbus on Wednesday for an Ohio School Boards legislative update. This has been scheduled for months. I don’t think it was a coincidence that Governor Strickland decided to have his State of the State address the same day this was scheduled. He hit on most of the issues near and dear to educators. Charter schools and vouchers being two biggies. Of course funding was much anticipated and really a let down when it was over. Cuyahoga Falls City School District doesn’t benefit at all. But the one that nobody is talking about is the Ohio Graduation Test and what it will do to kids that think they’re college bound. Passing the OGT to receive a diploma is going to shut a lot of people out of scholarships and more importantly certain colleges. I’m particularly talking about athletes. If the requirements are high school diploma or equivalent they can get a GED and still apply. But the schools that require a high school diploma only will be losing out on a lot of athletic talent. No more will kids be able to slide by in high school and go to college because of athletic ability. Now those college slots and scholarships will go to kids who must pass the OGT and earn a diploma according to the criteria set by the Ohio State Board of Education. Pretty sad that they think that all kids need a set standard of education to succeed in life. The only time the date of the start of the Civil War was important in my adult life was when I was in a room full of old ladies in a beauty shop showing off my arm chair Jeopardy skills.
But such is life. We allow these people to spend our tax money on testing companies and printing companies and consultants and data analyzers and the list goes on and on. All for a system that does not and cannot work. People do not want to deal with reality. The reality is everyone cannot and will not pass the OGT. You set these kids even farther behind by denying them something that was at least barely attainable before. On the other hand it improves the chances for smart poor kids to get into college.
The one good part of Stricklands’ speech was the charter school restrictions. I don’t agree with canceling vouchers in all but Cleveland schools. I think vouchers should be left intact everywhere. They are generally used at private parochial schools and I believe they promote competition. I also feel that if your local public school is failing your child, you should have the right to take your child and your tax dollar elsewhere. Failing charters are another story. With so many stories lately of charter school operators running off with hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to other states. Not to mention the operators that stay here and dole out our tax money to our legislators in the form of campaign contributions, so these same legislators will pass legislation allowing the charter school operators to profit from our tax money. It’s a vicious cycle. And did I mention that most of them are failing or have closed because of educational and financial failures? Charter schools have succeeded in other states but Ohio’s system of charters is a failure thanks to legislators (they set the rules) pimping their votes out to the highest bidders (David Brennan, charter school Don) instead of putting Ohio’s children first.
I left the Ohio State House feeling invigorated, powerful, arrogant and strangely unclean. You go in feeling like you can change the world and you leave realizing that unless you become some special interest groups’ political whore, you’ll change nothing. It all goes back to the back scratching I so often talk about. The lobbyists dig deep in their pockets at campaign time especially but really throughout the term of the “elected”. In return the elected dig deep in their murky bag of amendments and throw them into seemingly reasonable legislation. It’s an unspoken rule that an aye vote is attached to the amendment. One of those things they teach in “How to Screw the Taxpayer 101”. I took the longest, hottest shower of my life when I got home and felt much better.
I guess I should mention that it looks like our CEO is staying for now. I’m surprised Hudson didn’t want him. He’s a financial wizard who knows school funding inside and out. I thought he would be a perfect fit. Oh well, their loss and Revere is still looking. After applying at two different places in five months I have to wonder if the handwriting is on the wall. And all this after getting a new contract and a raise. And this business about being “asked” to apply at these jobs is starting to get to me. If you don’t network you don’t get “asked”. They ask because you ask.
Friday night was Roberts Middle School’s all night party. I went at midnight and stayed ‘til about 3 AM. Middle school girls are hyper and high pitched and middle school boys are aggressive and mean. I dread the day I am the one who has to actually stay all night!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

This article ran in Friday's Beacon Journal
School officials seek input on start times
HUDSON SCHOOLS

HUDSON - Hudson school officials are seeking resident input to help decide on changing school building start and stop times.

With Ellsworth Hill Elementary opening in the fall, changes in the start times of the lower elementary-grade building are being considered.

Superintendent Jack Thomas established two committees to study this issue.

Each will provide a recommendation on start and stop times for the 2007-2008 school year and long-term recommendations on transportation and future start times.

A citizens survey is available on the district's Web site, www.hudson.edu.

The survey will be available until March 28.

A public meeting on start and stop times and related planning issues will be held at 7 p.m. April 2 at the Hudson High School Media Center.

It is expected that a recommendation will be presented to the school board for a vote on April 9.

--Kimberley Sirk

UNBELIEVABLE...they WANT to hear from the community

fallsbigdaddy said...

Why the hell would Holland want to go there if they are so open and upfront about things?

Boy he would have put a stop that in a hurry if got the job!

Anonymous said...

Open honest communication. This community is desperatly seeking it. How different things would be if the board majority would demand it, as the board minority has stood frim for it. Thank you Ms Patterson and Mrs Gunter.

fallsbigdaddy said...

What the hell are you talking about, he's still the CEO. We still have to keep our eye on him and his tribe.

Kellie Patterson said...

eyesrolling:
I do think setting educational standards is important. I also think setting the same bar for all students is absurd. Unfortunately what attracts people to universities? The althletic program. Is that somehow my fault? If it were up to me all colleges would be institutions of higher learning. But society demands something different. I have never understood Americas fascination with sports but I do understand it plays a large part in making a university desirable.
We all can succeed in life in different ways and we all should be able to attain a diploma in different ways. And we could- but for the OGT.
I've never thought it was more important to play basketball than to be able to multiply. But tons of kids get into college on athletic scholarships and actually learn a profession along the way. They become productive members of society rather than burger flippers. I was the first one to say we've already had our LeBron. I don't want anyone to slide but I don't want our next Albert Einstein to be shut out of a diploma because he couldn't pass the Social Studies portion of the OGT.
BTW I don't care which way Hollands toilet paper rolls. I just care where his car rolls and parks M-F.
As for the survey, we'll see how things go. I don't know what is so hard about one per household address. The question of start/stop times is in it. Maybe too late but it is. Take note it's going out over spring break with one week to respond. Nice planning.

Anonymous said...

Hudson wants community input on the school day start and stop time, they form committees to look at research to determine what best fits the community needs, they put a survey on their website so community members have a say in the outcome, and then the board will vote on the recomendation. Yes, I would say loud is good. It's loud and clear.

fallsbigdaddy said...

So did they add the question about start time after it leaked out or was it there all the time?

It always seems they are putting out fires after the fact.

Kellie Patterson said...

Bigdaddy,
I had this question in the survey long before I heard a rumor of our bell times changing.
Leslie
I didn't mean to offend burger flippers but I don't think this is what most of us want for our kids. And I guarantee you cannot make it in the real world flipping burgers. You could hardly cover rent.

Molly Benedum said...

Kellie,
I'm sorry but I must disagree with much of this post. If we don't have standards that must be met for a high school diploma, then that diploma becomes meaningless. Yes, it is difficult to find a one-size fits all solution, but how would anyone decide what level the bar needs to be at for those going on to college or for those future burger flippers? And then who would decide, and how, to assign kids to each group?

There must be a minimum standard that should be achieved to earn a high school diploma and a way to measure that the standard has been met. I’m no big fan of the OGT, but if, between the sophomore and senior years, the school district is unable to get kids to where they can pass that test then we have failed those kids.

As far as not having enough athletes for the colleges, in my mind, no high school student should be playing a sport (or participating in any extracurriculars) if they are not maintaining a C average or above. If the curriculum is matched to the standards and the standards are matched to the OGT, then a student who can maintain a C average should have no reason not to pass the OGT. If grades fall below a C during the season, the coach/advisor should be notified and the student should be refocused on academics until the grades come back up.

I do agree with you on the biennial budget. I was very disappointed to see that the Falls Schools will see no increases for the next two years. Given that our current Five Year Forecast included modest increases in state aid that will be a blow.

Anonymous said...

I must say I agree with Molly's post but,sports is a huge money making machine. There is plenty of active recruiting done at the high school and even the middle school level in northeast Ohio. The standards can be set but as long as there is money to made in sports there will be ways found to get around them. It is a shame but is is a fact of life.

Molly Benedum said...

eyesrolling, I will be on the ballot for school board in November. Please visit my blog if you would like to know more of my thoughts on other issues in our district and education in general.

tax payer, thank you for your support.

princess_peach said...

if all high school extra curriculars and curricularettes and sporting students are expected to carry a C average to participate, then you assume that all sports and extra curricular students are at least 'average' and i can tell you that they are not all average. try as they might, it is difficult sometimes to merely be 'average' to base a future on one test is ludicris

Molly Benedum said...

therhesus, thank you for your support.

princess_peach, no child's future is based upon just one test. The OGT is given multiple times to students who are unable to pass over a two year period. It is absolutely an imperfect method because you are right that not all children are "average," but there has to be some way to determine that having a high school diploma means that a person is able to perform at a certain level (i.e. standards).

As far as the athletics and extracurriculars, the primary function of a school is to educate. The extracurriculars are just that, extras. The school has the duty to be sure that the goal of education is being met before providing those extras.

Molly Benedum said...

Leslie,

As I said in the email I just sent you, it's pretty obvious that I've done or said something to offend you at some point. You have my email address and phone number if you would like to discuss that personally.

As far as your questions go, I've taken up too much of Kellie's comment space already. If you would like to post them at my blog, I'll be happy to answer them there.

Molly

fallsbigdaddy said...

Good God! This sounds like some sort of sick love triangle.

Where's Barry? He's got some explaining to do!

Anonymous said...

Ok folks, this is getting out of hand. Let clear some things up.

The reference that Leslie made about me was about a conversation we had at a Indian Guides/Indian Princess event. She stated her opinion about blogging. She said nothing nasty about anyone,she just stated her opinion to a BOE canidate. Thats what I want people to do.Her reference to me is not a attack.

Taxpayer,thanks for your comment. As you have stated, We have not met before. As a matter of fact I don't even know if you are male or female.

Fallsbigdaddy,you sure know how to step it up a notch!

Rblack, Thanks for defending me but I can assure you Leslie meant me no harm to me.

It's a beautiful spring day, let's all take a deep breath and enjoy it!

princess_peach said...

Why would anybody berate an apolagy that wasn't even for them? Look what they started.