Sunday, March 25, 2007

Tell Me What You Have to Say

The shock has worn off enough that I finally find myself able to write. I went to Wednesday’s meeting thinking that my motion to secure the funds to see that the survey goes to every school district residence would be a 2-3 vote and wouldn’t carry. Much to my chagrin an unexpected turn of events occurred and my motion carried 3-2. I was speechless which doesn’t happen often! I’d like to thank the board members that voted for this motion but I can’t. They didn’t do it for me. They did it because it was the right thing to do. Changing the mailing list has caused a delay but it turns out that is a good thing. It was scheduled to go out next week. Spring break. Duh. So look for it mid to late April. Remember, this is finally a chance to have your voice heard loud and clear. A resident made the statement that getting the survey to everyone was a waste of money, that everyone didn’t need to be heard. But I heard the contrary from a majority of the taxpayers. In fact, every E-mail and phone call I received warned me of the particular consequences I would suffer from that resident if he or she did not get a survey. I told them I would do what I could but I am only one person. I do not have the power to make this happen alone. But apparently enough people spoke up that I can sleep soundly now. All threats are off. If you don’t get a survey it’s because your house does not exist.
I have to admit I am curious about the results. What are we doing right and wrong according to the funders? That’s what I want to start calling the taxpayers that live here whether they own or rent. The funders. Because contrary to popular belief, renters most certainly do pay property taxes. Indirectly of course, but they pay. I made a little chart I would like you all to see. It is a comparison of my house value appreciation over the last ten years versus the property tax increase percentage. As you can see my taxes have increased twice as much as my house value. I doubt that’s a good economic indicator.
The districts’ new web site is going to be awesome! I’m so impressed (except for my picture), and I bet you will be too. It’s much easier to navigate and up to date.
Have a good spring break!!

No comments: