Monday, April 02, 2007

The Grass is Always Greener...

I was out of town the last few days. We took a little trip to Sioux Falls, South Dakota. I noticed quite a few interesting things. The first thing I noticed was how all the asphalt roadways and parking lots are a blackish pink color. This is because the area is a pink granite treasure chest. It’s everywhere. In fact the only thing I didn’t see pink granite used for was side walks. The falls of the Sioux River was a gorgeous mix of pink granite and white fluffy foam that floated through the air and made it seem you were in some sort of fairy tale. The only thing missing was a mermaid.
The one thing that made me feel like I was at home was the local newspaper the Argus Leader. Their school funding problems and local community involvement issues were strikingly similar to our own. In the three days I was there, a local district joined a statewide lawsuit suing for school funding, the community is in an uproar over a behind closed door decision to close an elementary school and move the kids across town. Yet at the same time lauding the same school district for other boundary changes last year where parent groups were consulted, eight public forums were held, and made the decision based on public input seven months before they were to take effect.
Some of the concerns were that parents were notified of the decision with a three week time frame to voice concerns before a vote of the school board. Sound familiar? One parent said “that breaks all the rules when it comes to change and parental involvement.” I agree. The frustration of knowing something is a done deal before the public is made aware is maddening. It sure doesn’t gain support from tax payers to know their voice doesn’t matter.
One thing that occurred to me while reading about the funding problems all school districts seem to face. Most districts have a set of goals when it has become apparent to me that what we really need is a list of priorities. I hope our survey can help Cuyahoga Falls do that. Base our spending on what our priorities for our kids are.
Another oddity in Sioux Falls- they don’t have spring break. School’s out the middle of May. I’m not sure how that would fly here. Maybe a mid September start? Next year is the start of spring break moving to the middle of March. Brrrrr. I’m going to start calling it winter break II. Don’t yell at me, it wasn’t my idea. When I questioned this move I was told that spring break is about education not a vacation. Thank goodness indoor water park construction is on the rise in NE Ohio. Most of the northern United States is still frozen that time of year.
I hope everyone had a nice break. I know I needed it. Now it’s yo heave ho. Back to work we go.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now that the "well to do and the reasonably well to do" of Silver Lake are out numbered 6 to 1 on the community survey they want to cry "flushing away money",I guess they don't piss away money like the common folk. Watching the rich cry about money now, that's PRICELESS.

???? said...

Boy that lady who wrote to the FNP sure was pissed off about everyone getting a survey. What the are the people of Silver Lake worried about?

Anonymous said...

Oh my, what will they do if they have to air condition the entire district or allow more unwell to do children into their building. Will that send even more of their little darlings to private school?
Oh the life of the rich....tomorrow thay will spend a short amount of time becoming commoners as they haul their own trash out to the street and then later return that hugh ugly can back to the house....now that is truley priceless.

Cry me a river said...

It will be refreshing to get Barry G in office to get some of this bias flushed away.