Monday, August 27, 2007

A Fair Contract Indeed!

I couldn’t believe my eyes! Teachers took 2%, 3.5%, and 2.9% raises over the next three years. But realizing that $10 per month toward a premium doesn’t cut it with today’s rising insurance costs, the insurance contribution is now $40, $80, and $100 over the next three years. Still much less than most of us pay, but a positive step in the right direction. The taxpayers will be thrilled! Now maybe the voters will go for that bond issue for new buildings when the tobacco settlement money comes through.

Kudo’s to Rootstowns’ school board and teachers for agreeing to a truly fair and equitable contract. Knowing that this August 85% of school levies failed across Ohio, they did the right thing by trying to cut the cost to the taxpayer. We cannot continue to pay for unsustainable perks and fringe benefits. This contract is something that I think is precedent setting in the state of Ohio.

The contract for Cuyahoga Falls was the best we could get and avoid a strike. While we will receive insurance premium payments in years two and three of our new contract the $120,000 in payments over the next three years doesn’t even begin to offset the added $1.4 million in liability due to an increase in the maximum claim on dental from $1500 to $2500. I personally would have liked to see a percentage put on insurance payments, so if the district sees another large increase like a few years back, everyone will absorb the cost. But although the raises are based on percentages, insurance will remain fixed and extremely low. No step increases in the insurance department either. And rather than an attendance bonus, I would have liked to seen a “didn’t use the insurance bonus” Oh wait- we have that too. The buyout program. But not many people use this option because our district is one of the last men standing that still offers FREE insurance. I’m sure at $10 per month we will still have very few buyouts, as you will not find cheaper insurance anywhere. In fact it has been my experience that the people that take the buyout have a spouse in the education field with the same lucrative benefits. In fact one teacher told me that he left the private sector making a higher salary because nowhere in the private sector could you get benefits totaling 50% of your salary AND summers off. I voted yes on this contract because I was promised that no new general fund levies would be needed for the next two years. The CEO would only promise two years because that’s the cycle of the state budget.

I want to give you an example of what an average teacher in Cuyahoga Falls makes. Please don’t get mad at me as I am just reporting the facts as I see them. I am using a teacher with 10 years experience, a BA+150 hrs. with a base salary of $50,758.

Base Salary $50,758
Medicare $736
Workers Comp $700
Retirement $7,106
Medical $10,676
Prescription $3,918
Dental $1,091
Life $110
Total actual cost of one Cuyahoga Falls average teacher $75,095

This is the amount paid by the taxpayer via the board for one year. This amount does not include the following perks:

First of all what is tenure worth? It most definitely is worth something. After all most of us aren’t guaranteed a job just because we kept our job. So this item does have a value. I’ll leave it to those smarter than me to come up with a dollar amount for this one. So what is the guarantee of knowing you’ll have a job with guaranteed percentage raises including step increases for not leaving your guaranteed job worth? My personal opinion is, knowing you have a job until you retire is almost priceless, worth at least $250,000 over a 30 year continuing contract.

Next up- summers off. This is also worth something. This dollar amount is a little easier to come up with. 15 weeks vacation. Yes, I’m counting Christmas and spring breaks. And I don’t want to hear about the things that need to be done on these breaks because we all have to do things and we don’t get that much time off to do it. Most of us with full time jobs and two weeks of vacation and the 10 common holidays off, work an average of 1,928 hours per year. A full time teacher works 1,314 hours per year. That’s a difference of 614 hours. Using our average teacher salary that means summers off are worth a whopping $23,712.68. WOW! Even more than I had suspected. But this is slightly unfair as it uses an hourly wage as its basis. So I’ll try to be fair and use the logic that ¼ of the year is a vacation (actually 15 weeks, I gave 3 weeks as 12 month worker time off) therefore ¼ of the total board paid amount is what summers are worth. That totals $18,773.

The attendance bonus is worth between $275 and $500. I would have liked to see this item taken out of the contract but it was not to be. Take heart in the fact that now a teacher can only miss three days now to qualify for it rather than the previous contracts eight days. Geez I need a bonus for going to work like I was hired to do. In my opinion this perk encourages people to come to work sick and spread it to our kids and other faculty and send it home to me. For a lousy five hundred bucks.

Let’s get a grand total so I can rest my weary wrists.
$75,095 Taxpayer funded salary and fringe amount.
$??? Tenure = continuing contract = job guarantee
$18,773 Value of summers off
$0 This average teacher missed too many days :o(

$93,868 Total teacher compensation…so far...

Add to this total, your tenure value, plus the value of accumulated sick leave buyouts, early retirement notification bonuses, and the many stipends and extra duty contracts offered.

My total, dividing all other perks with 30 years, is an average $104,000 per year on our current average teachers salary and fringes.

20 comments:

Molly Benedum said...

Kellie, you've just highlighted all the reasons why this contract worries me so much. I touched on some of these issues in my post on my blog last Friday, but you've put them into real dollars and cents.

I just hope that we don't wind up reliving 2005 over this contract. And the CEO and CFO didn't promise that they wouldn't need to ask for a permanent improvements levy over the next 2 years did they?

Kellie Patterson said...

Molly,
No they didn't. Nor did they promise no bond issues. But at least that is truly for the kids and community. Don't forget,we only get our tobacco settlement funds if the taxpayers approve matching dollars. If we are to draw families into our neighborhoods, we really need to take as look around us and say to ourselves, if I were moving to this area, is Stow, Tallmadge Woodridge, Kent, Revere, or Cuyahoga Falls most appealing? Then ask yourself- why? Don't get me wrong, I think CF is a wonderful place to live, the parks, the riverfront, the access to metro parks and National Recreation Areas, but in the grand scheme of it all, you can have those things and live in surrounding cities with new schools and better state report cards. If your schools are not updated, people do not see your disrict as one that is looking to send their kids into the future prepared.

taxpayer said...

And just what are their promises worth anyway???? Think I heard that promise or a very similar one not too long ago. It didn't mean a thing! Talk is cheap especially when our CEO may not even be with this district for two years. Sorry, Kellie, but you voted FOR the contract so you have no right to complain. If you didn't think it was "fair" then you should have voted NO! If you are not part of the solution, then you are part of the problem. As for the tobacco settlement money, nice buildings don't make good schools! Look at the APS as proof of that.

RWBlack said...

I have to agree with taxpayer, Ed Holland lied about the affect that school closings would have on the district as well as the revenue that the oil wells would have brought in. Kellie, do you really believe that Holland is a man of his word?

I wish you had voted no.

R. Black

Anonymous said...

I would hope that a permanent improvement levy would not be considered until we take a long hard look at how we maintain our current buildings. I have been looking at the same gym ceiling at Lincoln with loose and missing tiles that need painted for about 12 years now. Now unless it was fixed over this past summer I am sure it looks the same. Why? It's not a high dollar repair. I am not convinced we take care of things like we should.

At the risk of finding a burning bag of dung on my front porch tonight, I believe we will not be able to compete with the surrounding school districts until we have all day K. Survey says 66.1% are in favor of it. I know it cost money to implement but this district will need to find a way at some point in the near future. I better go get that bucket of water ready.

taxpayer said...

Yes, you better hurry and fetch that pail of water Barry! We have much bigger problems/issues to deal with.

Anonymous said...

I agree taxpayer, we have some important things to look at. I was just addressing one issue that would make our schools more attractive to new parents. I feel our city is bleeding right now. There must be 5 houses for sale on my block right now. 1/3 of the city is rental housing and climbing. If we as a community do not start to get involved and force the important issues to the surface and demand the necessary changes then in 10 to 20 years we will end up a little Akron.

I am also bothered by the statement that Kellie said that this contract was the best we could do without a strike. A strike is ugly, its not easy, but once again we don't have the stomach to do whats needed to change things to help insure a levy free future.

Sandra said...

Kellie,
here are a couple suggestions for you, get off your dead arse and go to Columbus where you can do some good talking with the Govenor legislatures, senators, and congressmen about getting the school funding problem changed and get off the teacher's backs!!!
#2 I now would like to see you get out the Superintendant's contract or any other higher up and tell us what is in THEIR contracts as far as perks, raises, etc are concerned! then let's match apples to apples! (the higher up contracts are also open records to the public, just make sure you read the fine print for all the pick up the district pays for them, you will be amazed!)
Take a lesson here folks, if you want quality schools like all the other districts Ms. Kellie speaks about, then treat your teachers and staff the way you would want to be treated!~ these are your children and our future we are talking about here!@!!!!

Sandra said...

Kellie,
did YOU vote for the new contract?

fallsbigdaddy said...

Sandra if you would take a deep breath and slow down a minute, you could read Kellie's blog were she says how she voted and why. Try decaf Ok?

??? said...

Unfortunately, even if we pay teachers lots of money and give them lots of benefits, it still does not guarantee that our children will receive a quality education from that highly paid teacher. There are highly paid teachers out there that don't do a quality job. Why should we continue to support their pay check. Just because us taxpayers pay top salaries to retain teachers, we have no money back guarantee that you will in essence, do a quality job. So it is ludicris to say we must support teaching contracts vs. strikes, because our children's futures depend on it. We have no guarantee that our child we get a quality education even with highly paid teacher, shiney new buildings, and sittng in an air conditioned class rooms. The people we should be paying top dollar to, are the preschool teachers out there that are setting the stage for learning. Research supports that early childhood is the most important time for brain growth and development. Maybe we should look into a step pay scale where lower grade teachers make the most. Let's give credit where credit is due.

Anonymous said...

By the way, now that the contract is settled, and pay raises were given, is the election year ruse that the board not receive more compensation over?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
RWBlack said...

Barry - you hit on a point here. In any kind of statistical analysis, when you get something that garners 66% response, it has to be looked into. I don't care what it is. All Day Kindergarten is a big issue here, but when surrounding school systems are doing it, you have to respond or lose any edge you have.

Sandra - I don't think it is Kellie's arse that we have to be worried about. She, more than any other board member, has attended seminars and gone to Columbus to be involved and informed. In fact her enemies on the BOE tried to stop it. Remember that when you cast any vote this fall. Remember the members that paid lip service to transparancy (Dunphy), or former board members that went on record that they would not run again to appease the angry parents during the deficit of 2005 (Heath). This is not big time politics and we should not put up with the lying and deception.

Sandra - I will also say that I think the teachers should have some performance evaluation to qualify for a raise, just because we pay you more doesn't mean you are going to do a good job.

R. Black

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kellie Patterson said...

Sandra
You really should pay more attention. In fact I have been to Columbus as well as talking to congressmen here at home. Looks like someone is finally taking me seriously. Did you see todays paper? At least one congressman has stepped up and presented legislation that will see lottery proceeds go directly to education in addition to budgeted dollars rather than replacing them. If you need that explained Email me and I'll go into detail. And since you once again, you were not paying attention, I'll rehash my administrator feelings. I agree with you! Administrators also suck up way too much of our tax money on perks, fringe, and extra people. (4 principals at one school!) In fact, the only difference in my eyes is that administrators don't whine about being underpaid constantly. They at least know they have it good. I do appreciate what teachers do for my kids. I just don't think it's worth the same as what chemists, engineers, nurses, and other professions that require greater skills and technical know how than teaching does.
Just for the record, I'm starting to question whether you really are a teacher. I quote "do some good talking with the Govenor legislatures, senators, and congressmen"
Congressmen are senators and members of the House of Representatives. Or, if you prefer, they are legislators. The legislature produces a number of bills each year. But most importantly Strickland is the GoveRnor. Because he governs over Ohio.

Kellie Patterson said...

Just for the record- The deleted comments were links to retail sites. While I will allow links to related subject matter, I will not allow outside advertisements to post here. Sorry Charlie!

taxpayer said...

Just been wondering...MIKE B, where did you go? I miss your perspective on the issues.

Sandra said...

Kellie,
I think you need to pay attention. Did I say I was a teacher?
thanks for the Civics lesson.

rl said...

Sigh...jealousy does not become you, m'Lady.

Your comparison to increased premium payments verses an increase in "added liability" shows how little you know about the actuarial tables used by insurance companies when they establish their premiums! Perhaps our School System needs...

...a cafeteria plan as used by Cuyahoga Community College...if I have 20/20 vision or cavity-proof enamel I'd have no use for such benefits, eh?

...the need to be a member of a larger purchasing block (if our School System is currently self-insured). The State of Ohio already has 30,000 plus Public Employees covered under it's plan. What if we added the buying power of all the local School System employees, City/County employees and Public Universiy/College/Tech School employees to that of the State Workers. It works for PERS and the teachers what-cha-ma-kalit, eh?

...to revisit socialized medicine: "from each according to their ability; to each according to their need." Screw the insurance companies and insurance company wanna-bees!

At least then you might stop your jealous, cry-baby class-envy wining! The goal in this country, Kel, has always been to give a hand up, not a hand out! You have the same opportunity to better yourself as did any of the fine folks who teach in our school system, for gawd's sake!

A good teacher is a bargain at even your figured $104,000 per year. Yeah, I said that and I'm a life-long taxpayer of the City of Cuyahoga Falls and I only make $14.26 an hour at Kent State University and I choke it down every time someone comes up with a new levy!!!

As you said somewhere else on this blog, the scientists/engineers produced by America are the cream of the crop. Well, I've got news for you, lady! Less than 10% of them are "born"; maybe 25% of them are "guided" by their parents; the rest are "made" by the influence of their teachers during their formative years! In addition, I'd venture to guess that none of them make as much as an "A-Rod" or a "Lebron", eh?

Next contract negotiations come around...make your case for trashing the "attendance bonus" to the public and stick to your guns...I'd vote for it! I'd also vote that the Administrators and School Board should get no more of a percentage increase per year than any other scholl employees. After all, isn't that what leadership is all about?