Tuesday, October 30, 2007

What's under your rug?

Once again I feel the need to write a disclaimer. The statements in todays blog or any other blog I write for that matter, do not necessarily reflect the opinions or beliefs of other Cuyahoga Falls Board of Education members or employees of the Cuyahoga Falls City School District. I write this blog to convey my views and concerns to the citizens of Cuyahoga Falls so that they may make an informed decision at the voting booth. I also write to elicit feedback from citizens regarding current issues facing me as a board member.

I don’t know what to do so I’m going to blog about it. Last Friday another board member and I called a special meeting. It was scheduled for Monday night at 6 PM. I attached an agenda to the notification letter that stated the purpose of the meeting. The purpose was to vote on the treasurer’s contract and an addendum to the superintendent’s contract. Two items that would have taken all of five minutes to vote on. Why a special meeting you ask? Well, that was because there is a deadline for the treasurer’s contract. That deadline is October 31. Unfortunately it is also precariously close to Election Day. So even though the board and treasurer came finalized the details last Thursday, in plenty of time to meet the deadline, the board majority has chosen to miss the deadline and put it on the November 20th agenda. It could have been voted on last Thursday. In fact the newspaper was told it would be.

What’s most distressing to me is that the board member that agreed our treasurer was worth signing on time, he didn’t want to sign for a second proper notification. You see the original notice wasn’t hand delivered so the meeting couldn’t take place. Even though the board has held other special meetings without proper notification. But I guess when you can get a majority to show up with or without proper notification it really doesn’t matter. I asked the member to sign a second notification and he said that he would leave it up to the board president. Translation- He’s been talked to. I can hear it now. How dare he try to do the right thing. Don’t you realize people will be voting soon? My goodness it’s amazing how a weekend full of phone calls can change your mind.

I wonder why no one wants to get together and approve these contracts? I heard talk of needing a “clean copy”. That’s odd, the board has approved many contracts previously without a “clean copy” including the teacher’s contract that we still don’t have a copy of. I could be wrong but I am highly suspicious that your board is keeping something under the rug ‘til November 6th is over with.

Speaking of under the rug, there’s one more thing I’m a little unsettled about. Do our employees’ goals really fall under the guidelines of executive sessions? And do costly projects really fall under the category of a goal? Or could your friendly local school board be using new and improved ways to spend your tax money behind closed doors? I bet you’ll find out all about this doozy after November 6th as well.

Some people may question my motives in writing this. I think my motives are pretty darn clear. Election day is November 6th. You can make a difference by making an informed decision. If you like being informed like I describe above and spending like my last blog talked about- vote for it. If you want someone with a strong finance background and common sense- Vote for Molly Benedum!

7 comments:

taxpayer said...

Not only does Mrs. Benedum have a strong finance background and common sense, she has personal integrity. She has my vote! I hope the voters in this district wake up and see the light.

lisad said...

kellie's not the only one behind molly. there was a really nice letter endorsing her in the beacon yesterday.

http://www.ohio.com/editorial/vop/10856671.html?page=3&c=y

taxpayer said...

Here is the ABJ editorial:
Benedum for Falls board

"I endorse Molly Hansen Benedum for election Nov. 6 to the Cuyahoga Falls Board of Education. She represents a much-needed change on the current board.

Benedum has a vested interest in working to make this district achieve an excellent rating, as she has children attending the Falls schools.

The school board has many different decisions to make, short term and long term. Benedum is an accountant, so she understands numbers and the intricacy of school finances. Her suggestion that an annual publication of the dollars budgeted for each building be available to the board and public is a good idea. Where are capital dollars going, and are they being allocated?

Molly Benedum has youth, energy and a passion to improve the schools. We need her on the school board. Wesley G. Johnston Cuyahoga Falls"

Anonymous said...

Kellie, thanks for the update.Once again the water is getting murky and behind the scenes deals have been made. I hope that this community sees we desperately need a dose of integrity and accountability on this school board. The choice is clear on Nov. 6th, Molly Benedum.

If the effort that the current board majority puts into head games with the board minority and the public was instead focused on being open and honest, we as a school district would much farther ahead.
We have the right person at the right time on the ballot. It's time to elect Molly Benedum and and put a end to these games.

Russ said...

The timing of the school news letter that came in the Falls Press could not have come at a more opportune time for those seeking reelection.

lisad said...

How convenient!

There seems to be alot of manipulating going on behind the scenes to make things look nice and rosy for the election.

Are the voters tired of being manipulated?

taxpayer said...

This one sure is!!! It is past time for change-I am voting for Molly and hope the rest of you will join me!