Monday, November 26, 2007

From Bad to Worse

What a Thanksgiving! I wake to my name in the paper for being censured at the Tuesday night board meeting by my colleagues. Funny thing is, they made it a last second addendum to the agenda and gave me absolutely no time to prepare a response. Don’t get me wrong, I responded. But I plan on responding further.

About two months ago an executive session was held in the high school library after a public meeting. Items were discussed that concerned me as being outside the scope of what should be talked about behind closed doors. You see the law has set in place specific items that your board may discuss in private. At the next meeting during an executive session I brought this up to the board attorney with the full board present. His advice was this: You probably shouldn’t have done it and don’t do it again. I asked how we could remedy the situation and was scoffed at by the board. I then called the Ohio School Board Association for advice. Their legal counsel suggested that a complaint could be filed with Marc Dann’s office. “But” I was cautioned, “do you really want to embarrass the board like that?”

Then we held a public meeting in Columbus of all places. It was all open and the item was briefly discussed. Curious? Request the minutes. Although I bet you’ll find them scantily clad.

My reasons for being concerned about this item vary. First of all, I find it strangely coincidental that two months before an election this expensive project was discussed in private. Secondly, I think the board attorney should “probably” have been a little more precise with his answer. I think the “don’t do it again” says it all.

Despite the warning of the Ohio School Board Association, I have decided to file the complaint. Yes, I know it appears retaliatory. But the censure of myself and this issue are both tied to the same problem. Items discussed in executive session. What is confidential and what does the public have the right to know? I think my colleagues sometimes forget it is the tax payers money we are talking about. My money. Your money. I anxiously await Marc Dann’s opinion.

2 comments:

taxpayer said...

Way to go Kellie! It is comforting to know that at least one person on that BOE is looking out for the best interests of the taxpayers!

suspicious_mind said...

Hang in there Kellie!! There are many out here who think that this censure business reflects badly on the other 4 not you. Many realize that this is just 4 politicians trying to shut you up so they can take advantage of the taxpayers and voters.