Friday, December 07, 2007

Let Them Eat Cake

I’m so confused. I can’t figure out if this board wants to parent our children or not. I’m told time and time again that it’s not our job to raise other peoples children. Yet we have now made the decision to go above and beyond state GPA standards for participation on extra curricular activities. It didn’t matter that our administrators ALL recommended against it. It didn’t matter that will affect 17 athletes and about 56 kids involved in other extra curriculars.

But let’s get to some facts:

14 of the 17 districts we compete against in the Northeast Ohio Conference have GPA requirements of 1.5 or below.

All studies by major universities, regardless of biases or reasons for the study came to the same conclusion; Participation in any extra curricular activity, regardless of GPA, made for better college students and successful citizens after graduation. And considering only about 35% of our students as well as students nationwide actually graduate from college, it’s something we really need to think about. Is it really worth alienating 73 students from activities that lead to better people in the long run?

Children involved in extra curricular activities have lower instances of teen pregnancy, drug use, criminal behaviors and is directly correlated with lower drop out rates.

My favorite fact is this: 95% of Fortune 500 company executives participated in extra curricular activities yet only 47% of the same group were National Honor Society members.

I guess I have to be the realist in this situation. I have never been one to mince words. I was questioned whether or not I believed that all children should be capable of maintaining a C average. No I don’t. I can be selfish and say to myself, yes my children are capable of maintaining a C average therefore everyones child should be! But I know that the 4 kids that lived in the meth house over on 14th street probably had difficulties maintaining a C average. I saw on a list with my own eyes a girl that I know is a vibrant productive member of society, that lost her mom a few years ago and having a hard time maintaining a D average. I also know that there are kids that will excel in areas that do not involve academics, yet still become successful, productive members of society. This policy doesn’t appear to help anyone and it seems to hinder those who might need after school activities the most. I guess since life is so good in the village they must need a reminder of what life is like for many kids over here.

Speaking of the list, I was given the list of affected students at the start of the meeting I was expected to vote on it. Once again a board majority with an agenda railroaded an idea in, despite recommendations against it from district administrators, parents, and every national statistician I could find. I also heard some complaints from teachers that were miffed that a union leader read letters in support of this issue at the meeting but other members opposing views weren’t heard. But the worst part of the meeting was at the moment I offered a counter proposal. It was so outrageous I received four phone calls about it today. I offered a counter proposal of leaving the GPA requirement at 1.5 but requiring two consecutive semesters rather than the only the prior one, and a no F’s requirement. While I was trying to state the proposal, another member giggled, laughed and pointed. I found her conduct to be rude, childish and unprofessional. I put a lot of time and research into this issue and did not appreciate the disrespectful display. I am truly perplexed by these odd behaviors lately.

In closing I just want to say that three weeks ago I was all for raising the GPA requirement. After much research I have come to the conclusion that we need to focus on the children that aren’t participating at all. These are the kids that end up being the statistics we hate to read about.

7 comments:

suspicious_mind said...

If I pay the pay to play fee for my kid and then he get pulled out because of his grades, do I get my money back?

Holy Cuteness said...

Nice blog...

rl said...

Howdy ma'am...

Too bad your site rules don't prohibit pseudonymous comments in addition to anonymous ones, eh? Gawd...

I believe that all "athletic endeavours" should be relegated to a "club sport" status financed by private sources as they are in much of Europe and removed as a financial burden on all of our public school systems: K-12 and "Higher". The term is "student athlete" and not visa-versa.

Of course our current systems of higher education support the 1.5 GPA because they rely on our public high schools as a feeder system for their product! Unfortunately, the "Mt. Unions" (private & no scholarships) of our education system are few and far between and grossly under-appreciated!

Ideally, our K-12 system should concentrate on physical education/health. The billions of dollars spent by our populace on fad diets only highlights the failure of our schools and our society in this area. If any high school "club athletes" want an incentive for maintaining their GPA's the school system could arrange to release them from a last period study hall so that they might more easily participate in some form of "self-directed" education such as a team sport.

Nuff said.

slimy_politics said...

gunter needs to quit hitting the bottle before meetings.

lisad said...

I heard from a former board member that she has a problem with that. I didn't believe it until she started acting so bizarre.

Dan McGovern said...

Hi Kellie,
I am a teacher at the high school, and a part of what I do is monitor athletes who have a GPA that puts them in danger of not meeting our minimum requirements. I volunteer to do this because I feel that after school activities are extremely important for our students.
I was wondering if the board considered mandatory study tables prior to the school day for students between a 1.5 and 2.0? That could motivate students to get their grades up while still allowing them to participate. I actually have a plan for how we could make this happen without a cost to the district.In my opinion, this could be an adequate compromise.
As far as the 2.0 requirement, please keep in mind that a "C" at the high school is 70% or higher. Some high school grading scales require a minimum of 77% for a "C". This may also be something to look into. I'm sorry but I don't know the grading scales of other schools in our area. All I know is that I wish I had this grading scale when I was in high school!
If I can be of assistance in this matter, don't hesitate to email me at cf_mcgovern@cfalls.org.
Have a great holiday season!
Dan

jpb2525 said...

As hard as this may seem, I actually think I agree with your position Kellie! Sometimes, there is a meeting of the minds.