Tuesday, December 09, 2008

You Might Think I'm Crazy- Part Two


One definition of insanity is this: doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results. Sound familiar?

Several people have asked me for a copy of my proposal to the district. For those less computer savvy, you can click on the above link and print it, save it, or just simply view it. You have mastered E-mail therefore I think you can master this task.

Let’s talk a little more about my proposal. I’ve decided it will be easier to explain many of the questions I’ve been asked here rather than to continue repeating the info over and over. I do plan to continue the push for grade level reconfiguration. Regardless of the naysayer’s that have not offered any ideas other than tax increases, I believe this is a viable option for this district.

Some questions have arisen regarding building closures. I left names out of the proposal for a reason. This proposal is about effective delivery of curriculum, and equitable allocation of tax dollars. The buildings utilized in this proposal were selected based on capacity and nothing else. We currently use 9 district buildings. Under my proposal we would use 7.


You will notice that one district building (E) is not used yet has more space than 2 other buildings used. This is for several reasons. Number 1 being that building E has already proven to be the 2nd most inefficient building to operate, (building J is number one in inefficiency), reason two- its condition, unless you don’t mind the tree growing through the foundation into the hallway, and the last reason is when I was preparing this proposal, there were interested buyers. I think the tree might have been a deal breaker.

A few more items need a quick explanation. The documents “Road Blocks to Excellent” and “Wish/Gift list” are not mine. These are documents created by district employees last year. These were items that they saw as either standing in our way (roadblocks) or items that would help (wish list) our district reach an “excellent” district wide. I have highlighted the items on each that Grade Level Reconfiguration would affect. Lastly, all per pupil spending, revenue, enrollment and performance numbers come straight from the Ohio Department of Education. Building statistics, bussing statistics and employee numbers were all provided to me courtesy of the Cuyahoga Falls Board of Education offices. I would like to take this opportunity to thank both governmental offices for making this invaluable information available to me, a mere member of the tax paying public.

Now let’s talk about some of the advantages of my proposal. Smaller class sizes district wide. Under this proposal K-2 class size max would be 20 students. Grades 3-8 max would be 25. It’s very simplistic how it works. The district divides CF students evenly into classrooms, and then fills in any open spots with open enrollment if necessary. This plan can do this by hiring 1 additional classroom teacher. The next benefit is extended day kindergarten with the ability to offer before and after school programming. The kindergarten day would be from 9:15 thru 2:15. But we would be employing full time teachers. I suggest that we utilize the extra time by offering some before school programs that start at 8AM and after school programs that end at 3PM. Resulting in a longer K day than we currently have, but not so long that we need nap mats. In addition the before and after school programs will benefit working parents as well as children that need an academic boost. Akron currently offers after school programs that are on the surface fun and games, but are actually core curriculum studies disguised as arts, games, and sports. This part of the proposal requires adding 9 classroom teachers. So how can saving money on top of adding teachers, smaller class sizes and an extended kindergarten day be a bad thing?

To listen to some you would think it is. I read that my proposal is "overly simplistic and unrealistic". I will admit the presentation is simplistic. That was on purpose. I do possess more complicated spread sheets and have the ability to throw in all kinds of educational acronyms if that would please anyone. But I wanted to keep it simple. I wanted it to be a work in progress, a foundation to build on. But most importantly, I wanted it to be understandable to everyone. Because I know it faces an uphill fight. But just as I have provided documentation backing up my assertions, I will expect the same from detractors.

Be wary of comments made with no basis. Such as “several inconsistent figures presented as savings” and “an increased expense to our budget by $2 million to 3 million” with no explanation as to why. Besides the fact I never claimed that there wasn’t cost involved. But the overall monetary savings on top of the academic benefits more than negate the costs involved.

It’s sad that everyone was prepared to tell me it wouldn’t work before it was presented. What’s worse is that no one can tell you why it wont work, just that it wont. People told Abraham Lincoln that giving slave’s freedom wouldn’t work. They told Christopher Columbus he was crazy to think the world wasn’t flat. They are telling me that I’m unrealistic, but at least I have a vision of what we could be if people would step outside the box they’ve lived in for 150 years.

No comments: