Tuesday, February 14, 2006

SHHHHHHH Part Deux

Once again our fearless leaders have done you wrong. We held a special board meeting Saturday. Unfortunately I asked if it would be recorded or minutes taken and was told by our treasurer that "I only need to record the votes".
Now before you get excited, please know that the only votes were to approve the agenda and to adjourn. I did not receive my agenda 24 hours in advance of the meeting and although I have known for 2 weeks a meeting was to take place on that date at that time, I did not know where the meeting was to take place. In fact no attempt was made to inform me of the meeting place other than an E-mail sent Thursday. For the record, anyone who has any knowledge of Sunshine Law knows that Email is not an acceptable method of notification for any meeting of the Board of Education. Was something wrong with the telephones at the offices that day? If I hadn’t checked my Email Friday night, I would not have known where a meeting was taking place. I only checked my Email because my board packet of information did not show up Friday as it usually does.
Should I feel purposely left out? Should you feel left out? I’m way too paranoid to think I was not. The media was notified too late to print anything and no attempt was made to notify the public in any way. I’m not sure how things usually work but I want to do things above board. Pardon the pun.
The point is, the public wasn’t wanted at the meeting and wasn’t invited. I’m not sure why because it was an informative, interactive meeting. I wont bore you here with the details but if you are interested in what happened ask your local friendly school board member.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Welcome to the "real world" of the Cuyahoga Falls Board of Education. Many years ago I used to attend the meetings and after a while, found that the board or administration did not want to hear from the public - their plans were final, and don't confuse them with facts!

I can assure you that City Council has a whole different attitude about serving the public. They ask for public input and it DOES make a difference in their decisions!

Speaking as a citizen, I would far rather go where my opinions were listened to and respected. With City Council, I know that there are good people trying to do a good job of representation. My ONLY alternative with the School board is to vote AGAINST - taxes or board members should their actions not please me. The School Board's method of operation does not permit reasoned and timely citizen input.