Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Isn't recovery for addicts?

Is "Project Recovery" working? Let’s review. A plan - "Project Recovery" - was originally submitted to the community with cuts in programs, staff, and school closings. "Deep cuts" they were called. This original plan also required a new levy as well as a renewal levy. As the levy-begging progressed, concessions by the administration were made to Project Recovery. A new set of promises was made to the community, but never updated to Project Recovery. Now it’s time to pay the piper for forgetting this important part of the equation. Project Recovery can not work if it is not being implemented as originally planned. The community passed both levy’s believing two different sets of rules. Some voted yes because they thought the cuts promised would be made, others voted yes because the cuts were cut. Sorry if that’s confusing but I’m just reporting the facts.
Keep in mind folks, the recovery plan was submitted to the State of Ohio as a stipulation of being in "fiscal watch". I assume the state assumes we are actually following it. But we’re not. Oh sure, we closed a couple schools and laid off some teachers, froze wages for a year and didn’t buy text books. But our sports program and bussing are intact.
Speaking of bussing, several of you have expressed me your frustration with our bussing policies. I’m going to fill you in with some facts. Do with them what you will. First, we must by law bus private school children in our district and charter school children in a 30 minute/30 mile zone. Or buy the parents out. Secondly, open enrolled children must be bussed to our public schools provided they get themselves to a current route stop on time. Yet children enrolled in their own school are not permitted to do this. Even though some busses run half-empty. Lastly, yes we do provide transportation for some children that fall inside our bussing limitations. I was told it is our policy, although I have been unable to find it. I will ask for clarification on this.
And to once again clarify some of the new bus garage issues. The busses will still be parked outside. They can be washed and repaired inside after the $200,000.00 renovations. Several of you have questioned me about the increased costs. We are still waiting to hear what utilities and extras, such as shaving off the corner of Second St. and Vincent will cost. As is concerns me as there appear to be several cracks in the structure. Let’s keep our fingers crossed that this is where the new garage doors will go.
I understand our plan for excellence committee is getting ready to discuss our school reorganization. I wonder if equity in per pupil spending will be discussed? One of the reasons I ran for this school board position was because research into building expenditures disturbed me. I hope this is considered when making recommendations affecting our kids. Although I am comforted knowing our districts curriculum director is chairing this committee. I’m banking on his leadership and keeping my fingers crossed. What else can I do?

No comments: